Sunday Morning Scones

When I was young - around high school age - my family had Sunday Night Teas.  We kept the tradition, every Sunday evening for nearly five years. It was usually a fairly simple affair: small sandwiches, always scones, and tea of course.  Though those days are long over, I've always kept this favorite recipe for Tender Scones close at hand.  Last weekend I made them for a simple Sunday Morning Breakfast for some over-night company. 



Recipe for Tender Scones

Ingredients
2 cups flour (I sometimes use 1 cup whole-wheat and 1 cup white)
5 T. sugar
1 T. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
5 1/3 T unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup plus 2 T. heavy whipping cream
 3/4 cup dried fruit, chocolate or chopped nuts (or any combination equaling 3 cups - I usually do currents and walnuts)

Instructions
1. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Cut in butter with a pastry blender until it resembles small pebbles.
2. Mix in egg and 1/2 cup of cream.
3. Stir 3/4 cup of any combination of dried fruit, chocolate or nuts.
4. Preheat oven to 400.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently. 
6. Pat into a 1/2-inch-thick 9-inch circle.  Cut out circles with biscuit cutter or cut into wedges.  
7. Brush tops with remaining 2 Tab. cream and sprinkle with 2 T. sugar. 
8. Bake for 15 minutes or until light brown.

Serve warm with Mock Devonshire Cream and Fruit Preserves

{Mock Devonshire Cream}

1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup sour cream
1/8 tsp. almond extract

Beat whipping cream until soft peaks form.  Fold in sour cream and almond extract.  Serve chilled. 



Setting a pretty table, and sitting down to slowing savor freshly brewed tea and warm scones made for such a pleasant start to the day.  Makes me think I should start a new tradition - maybe Sunday Morning Teas or just a Sunday morning Special Breakfast?  With three little people underfoot I hesitate to commit to something constant - but I do want traditions for our family.... so what am I waiting for?



View Today's Post {HERE}





Share on :
Sunday Morning Scones
Sunday Morning   Scones
Reviewed by jembe
Published :
Rating : 4.5