Bottle Cap Magnets : A Tutorial


This little idea has been swimming in my head for a while now, and it was so fun to finally make these.  I was delayed a bit as I first had to gather a little collection of bottle caps, enlisting helpfully thirsty people to contribute for a few weeks until I had 10.
 


Then I sorted through the microsoft fonts and decided on this one: SimSun-ExtB for it's simplicity.  I printed several out, trying to get the right size and in the end used some numbers in size 62 and some in 49ish for extra-fun variety.



At this point it would have been neat to have some sort of crafty circle punch, but I have nothing anywhere near that nifty, so I just eye-balled and cut and trimmed a circle that fit and then used that as I guide for the others.



 Then I got out my Mod Podge and the only paintbrush I could find in my kiddos' craft cupboard.



 Brushed some Mod Podge on the bottom of the cap, put the number in and then coated the top.



 Then hot-glue these heavy-duty magnets to the backs, which my favorite Sister picked up for me at Walmarts.



At this point, I decided they looked a bit to crisp and white, so I got out some Old English furniture polish.



Added a bit of the polish to my glue plate, brushed a coat of it on top of the dried Mod Podge, and wiped it mostly off with a paper towel.



So here they are:  sweet-little-antiqued-numbered-bottle-cap-magnets.



And really, since I already had the Mod Podge and furniture polish, the only cost was the magnets, which were $6 for 50/ $1.20 for the 10 I used - woohoo.



Guaranteed to make your fridge (or cute chalkboard) feel extra-special-pretty.



Find other Easy-Peasy, Simple-Lovely Tutorials {HERE}






Share on :
Bottle Cap Magnets : A Tutorial
Bottle Cap Magnets : A Tutorial
Reviewed by jembe
Published :
Rating : 4.5