Just Passing Through


I never expected to feel so settled so early in life.  My family moved over a dozen time during my childhood, so I was somewhat used to transition and change.  But about three years ago we moved back to Colorado, into our present home – a bi-level home built in the 70s.  Not quite the charming old cottage of my dreams, but with a wonderful floor plan that works so well for our family, and a nicer kitchen than I thought I’d ever have in this lifetime.  This home’s real asset, however, is its location – two houses around the corner from my sister, brother-in-law, two nieces and two nephews.  I'm around the corner often three times a day.  It's pretty wonderful.

When we were young, my sister and I would take walks in old neighborhoods and pick out quaint little “starter homes” - and some grander versions too - where we would one day live right next to each other...after we found a charming pair of brothers to marry, of course.
 
****
What do you do when it's time to move on, but you rather feel as if you’ve already reached the promise land?
 


For the past three years, here in this Colorado home, my husband has been working to finish his doctorate.  He’s also been working as an oil/gas well pumper and has been teaching adjunct classes at the local university.   Since he is about to graduate {so proud of him!}, this fall was the time to start applying for jobs.   The job market for English grads is extremely tough....so though he sent out dozens of applications, we both knew it was very unlikely that any of them would come to anything.  He applied just for experience and hoped at most to get a little positive interest here and there.  In my heart of hearts I thought and hoped we would just wait it out here in CO for a local job.
.
Any interest wouldn't likely manifest until January, but the last week of November he got an email from a Christian college, followed by a phone call, followed by a phone interview.  And before I knew it, he and I were on a plane to Northern Iowa for a campus interview.

When we left, he was told that they would let him know before Christmas.   I answered the phone our first day back and it was the provost, calling to offer my husband the job.



{yellowsongbird.blogspot.com}


Of course, I was happy for him - thrilled.   We expected no job, and God gave him one.  And not just any job, truly the ideal job - every detail seemingly perfectly designed just for him. 

 I wanted to object, but I found I couldn't.
When God does something like this - gives your husband his dream job - how can you say 
 "no, thank you" ?


{yellowsongbird.blogspot.com} 



So the long and short of it is, we're getting ready to put our house up for sale and plan to move to Northern Iowa this summer!  Yikes.  
It's been a lot to digest...and I'm reeling a little bit...

I had a few little weeps, and I know I will have some more. 

It's been a good time to trust that God is good.  

He knows the plans he has for our little family, and they are better than mine.

So trying to hold loosely even to the things I hold dear...
and remember that after all this world is not our home, we're just passing through.



Share on :
Just Passing Through
Just Passing Through
Reviewed by jembe
Published :
Rating : 4.5